Julia Marie Hogan is a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor, author, and speaker with a mission to help people lead fuller and more authentic lives every day.
Her new book, It’s Okay To Start With You, is the best book I have found that encompasses proper self care within the Catholic worldview. This book is perfect for anyone – a great self gift 😉
Julia shares what it’s like to be a therapist, her new book and what self care is and isn’t, and how to fight the inner critic as a part of self care.
In our conversation Julia lists out 8 ways to fight the inner critic within ourselves:
- Recognize what is real versus what you feel
- List something positive in your life
- Acknowledge the trigger words of negative self talk (always, never, nothing)
- Focus on flourishing
- Visit the Sacraments, especially Reconciliation and the Eucharist
- Seek out spiritual direction
- Seek out therapy (check out the Catholic therapists website below)
- Book Recommendations: Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl and The Second Greatest Story Ever Told by Fr. Michael Gaitley
If you’d like to inquire about therapy, and would like a speak with a Catholic therapist, please check out Catholic Therapists.